Thanksgiving Can Drives to Help the Less-Fortunate

According to new census survey data, 3.5 million American families reported that they could not afford a Thanksgiving meal. So many households don’t have the luxury of participating in this annual feasting tradition, and school organizations are trying to help by creating can drives and encouraging students to participate.

“I will definitely be participating,” freshmen Sahasra Addala said. “Charity is really important to me.”

The Student Council is running the non-perishable food drive. All of the donated items will go to the Texas Baptist Children’s home. The drive ends Thursday, Nov. 18. Students can donate items like canned goods and boxed meals with their sixth period class or through the front office. Last year, the Student Council donated more than $1500 in food items, and their goal is to raise more than that this year. The sixth period class that collects the most donations will win a prize.

“Given that we are a high school, supporting children in need is an important directive of the Student Council.” student council representative Niranjana Nair said.

The school is having more than just one food drive this Thanksgiving. The journalism program also is hosting a canned food drive against Stony Point’s journalism program to see which school can raise the most amount of non-perishable food items for charity. 

“It’s winter, it’s Thanksgiving, it’s the season of giving back,” senior Leen Boselah said. “We’re giving back to those who are not fortunate enough to purchase food for themselves.”

People often feel more inclined to donate during the holidays, as it’s the ‘season of giving.’ Along with the holiday season comes winter, which causes more hardship for the poor. The school is trying to help as much as possible and is encouraging its student body to do the same.

“Food is a very important aspect of the holiday season,” Nair said. “By hosting a can drive and donating food we can help brighten the lives of children during this time.”