Girl Up empowers young women through togetherness

It’s 4:30 in room 1518. Groups of young women are trickling into the dark English classroom, only illuminated by the daylight through the windows. Snacks are set up on the middle table for people to grab. Markers and papers are lined neatly next to them. The TV illuminates a pink slideshow with that afternoon’s to-do list. The officer’s huddle together discussing today’s agenda. This is Girl Up. 

“Girl Up is trying to provide a space where members can advocate for their passions and concerns in a brave space,” club sponsor Ann Nguyen said. 

Clubs are a place to find yourself and gain stability in this large world. Girl Up is no exception. Girl Up is a global leadership organization that specializes in empowering women and raising awareness in gender/social equality. Girl Up was brought to Round Rock High School in 2016. Girl Up consists of seven officers: president Ella Byrd, vice president Smriti Jasti, secretary Aditi Kumar, treasurer Serena Di Martino, outreach ambassadors Akshaya Vinaya Manikandan and Saanvi Gadoo, and program coordinator Shreeya Pulyala. Girl Up meetings are held the second and fourth Tuesday of every month after school in room 1518. 

“I joined Girl Up freshman year because my sister was already in it,” president Ella Byrd said. “I thought this was a really welcoming organization and I wanted to be a part of it even more so that’s why I’m here today.” 

In past years, Girl Up brought in a variety of women entrepreneurs of many different backgrounds to discuss identity, intersectionality, inequities, and overall advice within their field. Due to COVID-19, Girl Up has shifted to open group discussions within the group members about these topics. Girl Up will also hold drives for feminine products for organizations like the Salvation Army. This semester, Girl Up and Student Council is planning a group circle discussing and raising awareness about gender norms differences throughout society and how it affects different types of people in society. They also plan to hold a panel during Women’s History Month in March. More information will be provided later in the semester through Girl Up. 

“I think this club is a great starting point to inspire young people to get involved in any field they want without sticking to the norms,” treasurer Serena DeMartino said.