Hoody’s Subs

More stories from David Luper

Austin’s Small Venues
November 12, 2018

Hoody’s Subs signature Meatball Sub.

Hoody’s Subs, an east coast sub sandwich shop located across the street from Round Rock High School, has been a staple in the Round Rock community since April 17, 1989. Richard ‘Hoody’ Hood, the owner of Hoody’s Subs, has been serving the community with the best interest of the customer in mind for 29 years.
As school starts and sports seasons begin, Hoody provides discounted subs to Round Rock High School football, softball, baseball, and swimming teams.  As a staple in the community, Hoody has had an impact on the student body. Students of all academic and sports backgrounds frequent the restaurant knowing they’ll receive great customer service and maybe a conversation with Hoody himself.
“Going to Hoodys is always just an amazing experience,” senior Madison Minton said.” The people who work there are so friendly and outgoing, and Hoody is just a staple of the community. He’s been there forever and he makes sure that when you walk in you feel welcome.”
Many students families go to Hoody’s Subs on a regular basis, creating a tradition in their family. Brandon Scott and his parents go to Hoody’s Subs for the first UT Longhorns game every football season.
“We usually just go there to pick up the subs, but the staff is always very friendly, and it seems like a very close knit place to work.” senior Brandon Scott said.
Alongside the student love for Hoody’s Subs, many teachers go to Hoodys on a regular basis. Staff development days before the start of the school year are important days for the Hoody’s crew.

“Teachers come here often during the summer, and some even come weekly throughout the year,” Hoody said. “We love seeing the impact we have for the community surrounding the high school. We know the teachers very well, and it’s not only the high school teachers. Local middle school and elementary schools come to pick up subs.”
The primary goal of Hoody’s Subs staff is to give back to the community. Every member, other than Hoody who grew up in Delaware, attended Round Rock High School. Each member of the staff is a part of a larger family, the community of Round Rock. Hoody’s Subs is a well known and loved part of the community for   being the local family place who knows you and your sub.
“I’ve gone to Hoodys for the past ten years, and the staff for the most part knows my name and even memorizes my order,” physics teacher Johnny Pham said. “It’s been a tradition that we teachers go there during professional development or training and we have a Hoodys sandwich.”