Spitfire

Lightning Delays Game, but Doesn’t Slow Down Dragon Offense

Connor Ellinor

More stories from Connor Ellinor

Varsity Football September 21, 2018

The Dragons run onto the field prior to their home and district opener.

Abbey Gray

Abbey Gray

The Dragons returned home Friday night for their home opener versus McNeil. Both teams exploded in the first half for a combined 61 points. The game took a slight detour when a lightning delay stopped the game at 9:34 p.m. with 11:34 left in the fourth quarter. Coaches and officials gathered together and agreed to continue the game the next day to finish off the the fourth quarter. In the end, the Dragons got their first district win 67-41.

The Mavericks struck first with a 73 yard touchdown bomb to take the lead at 7-0 with 10 minutes left. The Dragons quickly countered driving down the field ending with a three yard touchdown run by Marquis Brown to tie the game 7-7. The Dragon defense got a big third and out forcing McNeil to punt the ball setting Round Rock up on their own 25 yard line. Quarterback Ryan O’Keefe broke off a 60 yard run setting the Dragons up in the red zone. Shortly after, O’Keefe ran the ball in from six yards out off a quarterback run putting the Dragons up 14-7.

The Dragon offense continued on a scoring spree in the second quarter when quarterback Ryan O’Keefe and running back Marquis Brown took control of the game combining for four first half touchdowns. The score at the half was 35-26.

Round Rock continued their high-powered offense attack in the third quarter when O’Keefe broke away on a 66 yard touchdown run creating a two-possession game 41-26. While the Dragon offense was putting on a show, so was McNeil. Mavs quarterback Zane Kampfer launched an air raid attack, keeping McNeil in the game. Behind his arm, they cut the deficit to seven points, but before any more ground could be made up, running back Jordan Smart punched in a touchdown to give the Dragons a comfortable two touchdown lead, 47-34.

The Rock defense got several big stops over the course of the game, but none bigger than stopping the McNeil offensive juggernaut in the final minutes of the third quarter. The Dragons got the ball back and marched down the field, capping the drive with a 10 yard touchdown run by Marquis Brown putting Round Rock up 53-34.

McNeil snuck one final touchdown in before weather moved in on Dragon Stadium and caused the game to be delayed. Coaches from both teams met with officials and determined a time to finish the game up. They all agreed to come back the next day at 2 p.m.

On day 2 of the game, the rain had stopped, but the temperature had dropped into the 60’s. A slight breeze came along and made it a great Saturday to play high school football. The Dragons received the ball first and got right back to work. Round Rock went with an air raid package bringing in sophomore quarterback Seth Ford. He came in and threw his first ever varsity touchdown putting the Dragons up 60-41. On the ensuing drive, cornerback Titus Dunk picked off McNeil sealing the deal for the Dragons and setting them up on their own 30 yard line. Running back Marquis Brown capped the explosive offensive performance running the ball in to give him his fourth touchdown of the game. The Dragons took the win with a final score of 67-41. The combined 108 points is the most ever in the series.

In the end, the Dragons won a two-part offensive powered game. Round Rock rushed for 556 yards and nine touchdowns. They passed for 102 yards and one touchdown. The heavy rushing attack allowed for the Dragon offense to explode. Quarterback Ryan O’Keefe and running back Marquis Brown combined for eight total touchdowns. The Dragons move to 2-1 on the season and 1-0 in district play.

About the Writer
Connor Ellinor, Sports Editor

Hello!
Hey squad fam, my name is Connor Ellinor! I am a sophomore at Round Rock High School and Sports Editor for the Dragon Spitfire Newspaper. I am...

• Sports

Dragon basketball earns crucial wins to start the season off

• Lightning Delays Game, but Doesn’t Slow Down Dragon Offense

Sports

Volleyball honors seniors with final home win

Sports

Homecoming Heartbreak

Community

Q&A With the President of the Round Rock Express

Sports

Outlasting the Rangers

Sports

Rivalry With The Warriors

Arts and Culture

Austin’s Small Venues

Community

The History of Lamppost Coffee

• Sports

Arts and Culture

Band Narrowly Misses Out on State Finals

The Round Rock Spitfire