Teacher’s and Student’s Start Their First Week

With Covid starting in March of 2020 some students who finished eighth grade and started high school online are now sophomores. New freshmen and sophomores are a bit overwhelmed as this is their first year on a big almost college campus.

“My first week was stressful,” freshman Kiera Byers said. “I had a lot of quizzes, and it is a much larger campus than my middle school.” 

As the new students start school, staff and faculty are adapting from the transition. Teachers who had maybe one to five students last year now have full classes and crowded halls. 

“I feel that the transition for students from online to normal has gone pretty smoothly,” McCaffity said. “The teachers have become more welcoming and understanding as some students are on campus for the first time in two years.” 

“I was talking to someone yesterday about how weird it felt to be teaching full classes now,” choir director Jamieson McCaffity said. 

Staff and faculty are meeting students for the first time and have been more helpful and welcoming to new freshmen and sophomores. Lost students looking for classes in crowded hall traffic and teachers have been patient with tardy students understanding the hallway craze.

With many parents wanting to drive their children to their first week in school, parking lots have been crazy. This made the process of getting in and out of school a lot harder.

“We would leave in the mornings around 8:15 to get there early,” Byers said. “Even then we wouldn’t get on campus until 8:40.”